Armada Games Aberrant Game
- Columbia had proven to be a failure. The Luteces realized they could not control Booker Dewitt, nor even Elizabeth. However, in true fashion, they felt they could make some adjustments and continue the experiment anew. There were always people just smart enough to do something, and arrogant enough to think they were in control. They chose well, as they found a Millionaire industrialist named Andrew Ryan (note: the author made him based on Ayn Rand) who believed that free people needed somewhere to be before humanity finally destroyed themselves and the planet.
- “To build a city at the bottom of the sea! Insanity. But where else could we be free from the clutching hand of the Parasites? Where else could we build an economy that they would not try to control, a society that they would not try to destroy? It was not impossible to build Rapture at the bottom of the sea. It was impossible to build it anywhere else.”-Andrew Ryan
- The idea was simple, Rapture, a city that was to be hidden beneath the sea, which could outlast mankind, and where an ideology would be in place to discourage parasites and criminals. Science alone would be law: “No Gods, No Kings, only Men.”
- Of course, Mr. Ryan did not realize he was manipulated, but the twins purposefully made their roles a lot more subtle than they did in Colombia. They did not need to be known by anyone, especially the pompous gooses that worked better if you just let them feed their ego. Ryan accumulated the best scientists of the age, and soon, beneath the waves, there was a society known for both beauty and decadence, Rapture. Of course, the Twins were laughing, after all, Rapture was what they wanted to originally call Columbia, before Fink objected (thus setting up the rivalry between Fink and the Luteces that almost killed them.)
- For a while, things went well, until the folks in Rapture discovered a treasure below, a mutagenic parasite, which they named “adam” ( Vigor or Adam ) This was the same agent discovered by Columbia years before, albeit in a more raw form. Of course, the response of Rapture was not to study and contain this, but to exploit it and give it to the free market! Soon, you had pyrokinetic mutagens being sold in cigarette machines. Keep in mind, this was a city that made Rat Pack age Las Vegas or Modern Dubai look subtle.
- Well, two things happened: One, is that this stuff was far more taint ridden than even old Columbia style Vigor was. It got to the point where taint mutations became a sign of high status. These people became “splicers” heavily addicted, berserker mutants. Also, add to this that the people that came to Rapture eventually chafed at any government, even Ryan’s. So let the revolution begin! Of course, even when the city is a war zone, you must be able to turn a profit, so a project was done where young girls ( Little Sisters )would be turned into parasitic feeders, literally draining the Adam from dead or living bodies. Accompanying them would be cyborgs called " Big Daddies " lobotomized cyborgs who defended the Little sisters.
- So, how could the twins make this worse? Well, they wanted to wrap up Elizabeth and her father, so first, they sell Elizabeth on the idea that she could have wiped out all traces of her father from all timelines, all she would have to do is destroy herself in the process. Keep in mind they had been imprinting themselves on her since she was an infant. She attempted this, only to find she was still alive. Then, the problem was explained that there were several that still managed to escape, one of whom was sent to a place called Rapture. She went in pursuit. Of course, the idea is, both these two would kill each other down there, and we could finally get to do that third Moon base idea.
- Needless to say, that did not work. The reason people like Ghost and Hades experience “resets” is that the Twins (and to some extent Elizabeth) have literally done that much damage to the fabric of time. Even Rapture itself is fragmented, one of which is a ruined city with splicers, the other, New Year’s Eve 1959. The city is ridden with portals, from it to Columbia, and from both to other places. It is impossible at this point to tell how torn the fabric is, though supposedly, there are tears to Paris. It is believed the tears are how the Teragen ( met with the Twins. In addition, why the first adventure was a great Teragen implosion that ousted Divis Mal.
- So, currently, his city has been so twisted, that its own literal nature in the frame of time and space is threatened. Then again, so are we.
GM’s note: as seen in Ghost’s page, the rough location of this city is near Iceland (63° 2°N, 29° 55°W)