Armada Games Aberrant Game
“For what is Columbia, but an Ark for another time?”_ -Words of the Prophet.
- The story of Columbia begins with Rosalind Lutece. She had a natural ability to see into other Dimensions, as shown by the fact that she contacted her ‘brother’—who was really her male counterpart in another world, Roland ( Robert Lutece ) . She wanted to reach him and, towards that end, developed the science of inter-dimensional travel. Of course, when she got tired of needing money and power to do such, she had an idea: find a patsy, use her knowledge of the future to give him money and power, and prop him up as a figurehead. They found just such a man in a Veteran of Wounded Knee called Booker Dewitt. He seemed to have a similar ability, although he never understood it. He was also prone to berserker fits and alcoholism. He had fallen in with a former courtesan and con-woman, Anabelle DeSoliel.
- Of course, things seemed smooth at first. The Luteces made sure he was the first to establish claims on the largest Silver Strikes in the nation, the Comstock Lode. Booker and Anabelle had a con game going with him as a preacher that could “tell the future.” Splendid, so they took those profits, and the ability to truly see into the future (like stock picks) and parleyed that into both a fortune and a powerful religious empire, one that appealed to ex-Confederates. Of course, at this stage, everything was a con, specially as Booker was half-Lakota and Annabelle was a Louisiana Creole. Everybody was laughing their way to the bank.
- Which is when Booker went mad, as the machine literally aged him from his 40’s to his 70’s. His mission was to make an heir. Sadly he could not do so, but he had a scheme to go to another parallel, where Annabelle died, and make that girl his heir. After all, he knew Booker Dewitt was worthless. Sadly, Annabelle did not take to the child, suspecting that it was Rosalind’s, who had romantic feelings for Booker. Annabelle had to die, and so she was killed and turned into the abomination known as Songbird. This was a vindictive pun on the fact she refused to be a “mother bird.” Rosalind then took care of the child, albeit in a very demented fashion, by which we mean vivisected and brutalized Elizabeth but still thinks the child is better off.
- Roland, the twin with a conscience, tried to fix things, an act that he was aware would ensure that Elizabeth would grow up to destroy timelines; a minor thing, to be sure. Elizabeth tried to stop things, even purposefully trying to kill herself and Booker to stop it. It did not work. First, Rosalind hid another version of Booker, one where they truly failed, and hid him in the second project they would try to do, Rapture. So while Elizabeth was doing her self sacrifice, she went ahead and was able to carry on the same con game again, albeit with new suckers. More on that when Rapture is discussed.
- But as for Columbia, it went on, until a revolution occurred. Imagine Les Miserables with high tech weaponry and mutations. The city changed hands, as Elizabeth tried to leave it in the hands of a revolutionary, Daisy Fitzroy. This was not to be, and for the better part of a century, the city had been isolated, a place of warring gangs in the rubble. Then of course, one new group manged to make their way there, the current “original members” of the party, such as Maelstrom (adam’s character) , Ghost (Daniel’s character) and Agent 13 (Brian’s character). The city was literally awash in a substance called vigors ( Vigor or Adam ), a mutagen agent that would give those who used it both high quantum AND high taint. Devil’s kiss, for example, would literally make people erupt into flames they could throw at people. Shock Jokey would make people literally become a dynamo capable of powering city blocks, or simply frying everyone in the block. Did I mention that way back in 1910, the city fathers started lacing this stuff into everything from hot dogs to soda drinks to cigarettes (all of which marketed to children, yes you heard right.) It’s ok, they had enough to where they were still consuming it, to the present day.
- One person who did know was Roalind’s former lab assistant, Michal O Dongeal, aka DIVIS MAL. He saw a chance to get back all his mutagen. Roalind betrayd him (notice a pattern?) and tried to use it to take over the Teragen The party foiled that, but of course, they now have a city full of a bunch of isolated, superpower and cybered people. Elizabeth gave the job of running that to Maelstrom, though Ghost and Hades are helping.
- Of course, New Orleans goes on, even though this phantom city was above it for so long, hidden and cloaked. Indeed, there is a convention called “a kind of magic” ( NO Ernest N Morial convention center theatre ) which discusses the old legend, among other things. Of course, Rosalind uses her knowledge of the future to cheat, and indeed, made a nice little safety package that would enable her to start the whole process again. Rosalind really did not want to leave it in New Orleans, but Elizabeth made sure Rosalind had to return it to it’s old hiding places, where it was going to be sold at lot, until a fool thought the best place to hide a wonder was in his stage act.
- Congratulations party, whether you know it IC or not, you literally have the secrets needed to not only control Columbia, but to make it stronger, and to even take the experiment farther than The Lutece twins imagined. Even on time’s other oceans, the waves will be felt.
- Of course, there is the minor fact that even the little glimpse people likeDominika Star and Chesa have seen, the Kingdom, Power and Glory may be too much for anyone to control or bear.